
Grief has a funny way of affecting your memory.
Two days before Papa died, on a very warm Monday morning, we all rushed to his bedside at 6:30am. He had woken up from his medication and he wanted to tell everyone goodbye.
We all took turns standing by his bedside while he said what would be his final words to us.
I couldn't remember what he had said to Justin, my middle son. So Sunday, on our way back home from our trip to North Carolina, I asked him.
"What was the last thing Papa Bud said to you"? I could barely get the words out from the lump in my throat.
And Justin replied, he told me "It was fun".
Papa's last words to Justin were It Was Fun.
That was so Papa. Never one to indulge in sadness. He summed up the 13.5 years he had spent with his curious, fidgety, and sometimes so serious grandson in 3 loving words.
He loved Justin. And it was fun.
Oh Papa, how we miss you and your funny, loving ways.
That is so papa. I miss him so much. Sometimes everything just feels so empty without him
ReplyDeleteHey, I just stumbled on your blog. This is such a touching post. I got tears in my eyes when I read it. I'm sorry for the loss of your papa!
ReplyDeleteThank you Kathleen. Raini--I love you!
ReplyDelete