Sunday, May 3, 2009

Irmi Love




I love cute vintage hand painted pieces from the 1950'6 and 1960's.

One of my first successful Ebay sales was for a delightful 'Irmi' lamp.

It was the 'Hey, Diddle, Diddle' design. How I wish I had kept it now. Irmi lamps that are in clean, working condition can go for as much as one hundred dollars.

Mine was purchased for $2 at a Goodwill and I sold it for around $40.

There is nothing cuter than hand painted, sweet, wooden Irmi's. The company made everything from nursery mobiles, light switch plates and lamps.



Artist have been taking broken Irmi's and turning them into super cute creations.

Below are some of my favorite refashioned Irmi's:



There is even an entire group dedicated to Irmi loveliness on FLICKR.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Trinity, thank you for the delightful photo lesson on Irmis. I have seen them, loved them, but never knew what they were. Thank you! I enjoy your blogsite!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! What a treat to click on your response on my giveaway and see my own pincushion! I couldn't figure out how it was in your home because I knew I gave it to Chelsea of Paper Cakes. How funny! Oh my gosh would I love the lamp with the giraff - so cute! I could not possibly sell these pincushions because the lamps I take apart are about about $50 apiece. But who can have so many lamps! A pincushion you can put anywhere! Thank you so much for your sweet story. I was picturing "Everybody Loves Raymond" and Marie's wooden spoon and fork - I remember them as well! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your darling Irmi photos! I, too, collect the precious works of art. However, one only has so much room and I will be selling some of my lamps, night lights, mobiles and switch plates. I also love the "repurposing" of broken Irmi pieces. I am doing some of this myself and find that it is a great way to blend the past with the present in a vintage nursery. Smiles, Debra

    ReplyDelete